Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Gift of Space

I tend to go to my office if I need to write, study, or just to concentrate.  Occasionally I read a journal article in a coffee shop or pub, but I need to keep my headphones on so that music blocks out the distractions.  Needless to say, I don't get much work done at home.  I usually don't bother to try working at home, unless I'm home alone and all the pets are sleeping (that rarely happens.)  

But on occasion I do attempt it.  I did so this morning, My husband had a late start time for work, so I stayed home for an extra couple hours thinking I could have an extra cup of coffee with him and review for my next exam.  It was not turning out to be a very productive environment, and I finally had to say something.  Lovely man he is, he gave me the space I needed to finish my work, and I was so grateful.  He frequently wants to help me with school, and I really appreciate this when I have plants to re-pot or study cards he can quiz me with.  But in this case what I needed the most from him was a little space.  It's amazing how much it helps to just be left alone sometimes, even for a short period of time.  It's difficult to ask for, I'm always wary of hurt feelings, but sometimes space is one of the best gifts we can receive.

No comments: